MS Access reacts in two different ways (locking)

David Kirschey d.kirschey at eshgmbh.de
Thu Jan 27 15:19:55 GMT 2000

Hello together,

I noticed, when I open a MS Access Database on al local drive (or an MS
share) it reacts differently as when started from a smb- share. When I open
a database from the local drive, an opened table gets a lock, so that other
users can't open the table exclusively until the first user exits from the
table. Also when one user opens the table exclusively all other users are
denied when trying to open the table.

When the mdb- file is located on the smb- share, this is very different:
Everyone can open the table, when someone makes an exclusive lock, everyone
can access the table anyway.

What can I do to make the behaviour of the smb- share more like the
"standard" ;-) behaviour? I read a lot of locking in smb, but I did not
help.

David Kirschey