Serving separate domains from single server and NIC?

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at elanco.k12.pa.us
Thu Jan 27 15:40:31 GMT 2000

Hello,

I have been running what is now the "old" CVS head version of Samba as my
PDC for some time now.  I am about to add a cluster of 6 point of sale
machines for our cafeteria.  These machines need a PDC and about a 100Mb
file share.  Since I already have a Samba server, what I'd like to do is
simply add a second IP address to my ethernet card and create a share that
is only accessible to those six machines.  Looking at the smb.conf pages,
it looks like there are the "interfaces" and "bind interfaces" operations
to specify which interfaces to bind to, so multiple interfaces shouldn't
be a problem.

However, I'm not sure how to create a share that is accessible from only
the six point of sale machines but not the rest of my NT network.  In
other words, I don't want students to be able to hack into the share
intended for the point of sale machines.  I know about invisible shares
but I'd prefer to not have that share accessible in any way from the
student side of the network.  I guess I need something like TCP wrapper
support, only on a shared volume basis.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

--
     ~        Kevin M. Myer