Slow Print Server

Gene Yee gene_yee at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 23:34:59 GMT 2000

I am running a Samba Linux print server using the RedHat 6.1 distribution.
Samba v2.0.5a which comes with RedHat.  The server is a Compaq 5000 Quad
PP200 w/ 1 gig of ram, the drive array uses a mirrored set of 4 gig drives.
Yes, a bit over powered, but this is what was laying around...

I am having an issue where sometimes Samba seems to time out for a while.
>From a WinNT client I can locate all the print shares right away, but when I
hit Properties it often takes up to a minute for the properties page.  When
I hit Test Print it often takes up to a minute also.

Of course, on occasions it is running extremely quick also.

This server does NOTHING else and is still in a test enviroment, so during
these test I am the only one accessing the server.