Domain Groups & Logins/Mappings

Paul Rogers paul.rogers6 at virgin.net
Wed Jan 19 08:09:50 GMT 2000

Dear All

Ihave a samba server running as a PDC serving W95 clients.  I need to
map drives depending on groups belonged to.  There are about 10 groups
and individuals belong to different combinations of these groups.  I'm
trying to use kixtart to check membership of each group and map any
relevent groups.  However it always reports that Individual X is not a
member (either local or domain) of group Y.  I have added the groups to
the /etc/group file and added the relevent individuals to each group.
It appears that when the client interrogates the samba server it always
replies that X is not a member of Y.

How can I make samba do this properly?  I've read the smb.conf man page
and this indicates that, as PDC, samab should do this.  The domain group
map option no longer seems to work.

Samba also doesn't seem to return the full name of an individual.  Is it
possible to fix this?

How can I fix this?  Is there a better way to do it.  I thought of using
prexec to dynamically create a logon.bat each time the user logs in.
Has any one tried this??

Any help would be gratefully received.

Paul