can't see computers in net neighborhood

John F. Scipione jscipio at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 02:51:10 GMT 2000

I have a linux computer running samba 2.06 stable, hosting as a roaming profile server, file server, and a PDC for several win98 machines and a win2k machine(minus domain).  Roaming profiles work and I can connect to the computer if I type the address in maunally '\\hildegarde', but I cannot see any computers in my network neighborhood.  If I turn samba off I can once again see the computers, but, of course, loose all of my PDC functionality.  Here is my smb.conf file for reference:

# Samba config file
# Created by John F. Scipione
# Date: 1999/11/29 23:21:41
# Global parameters

[globals]
workgroup = workgroup
netbios name = Hildegarde
server string = SMB PDC using Samba %v
security = user
password level = 4
os level = 65
encrypt passwords = Yes
smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
domain logons = Yes
logon script = logon.bat
logon home = \\%N\%U
logon drive = H:
logon path = \\%N\profile\%U
log file = /var/log/log.%m
local master = Yes
domain master = Yes
# uncomment if you want Hildegarde to resolve netbios names
preferred master = Yes
case sensitive = No
default case = lower
preserve case = Yes
short preserve case = No
guest account = guest
wins support = No
# uncomment if you want the use lmhosts as main name resolve file.
# name resolve order = lmhosts hosts

[homes]
comment = Home Directories, limit of 1 GB
path = /home/%U
read only = No
browseable = No

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/netlogon
locking = No
guest ok = No
browseable = Yes
writeable = No

[Profile]
comment = Directory to hold Windows User Profiles
path = /home/profile
browseable = Yes
writeable = Yes
create mode = 0600
directory mode = 0770

[tape]
comment = only 150MB may be stored in this share
path = /usr/tape
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
available = Yes
browseable = Yes

[tmp]
comment = Temporary file space
path = /tmp
read only = No
hosts allow = 192.168.0.4

thank you for all your help, everything volded is info I think could pertain to my problem.

John F. Scipione
random samba guy
jscipio at rochester.rr.com