WINS on SAMBA

Mike Harris mike at psand.net
Thu Jan 13 15:47:24 GMT 2000

WINS on SAMBAFrom my experience, WINS works wonderfully under Samba :-)

Check that you're smb.conf file also contains:

local master = yes (the default)
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 32

(please, someone confirm I'm not telling lies !)

In that way the Samba server will win the browser elections to become the Domain Master Browser and can then serve WINS fine.  It also means the clients won't be getting confused as to who has control.

The long and the short is:

Either go for all Samba WINS and DMB etc.  or
If there is an NT Server, let it be the DMB and WINS.

Then all will be fine and dandy.

Mike.