New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 04:05:11 GMT 2000

At 02:15 PM 01/13/2000 +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Marty Leisner wrote:
>

>> The samba folks are well aware...and disturbed...(having been following
>> the technical details)
>>
>> What is far more interesting is how easy it is to crash NT 4.0 machines
>> which run netbios...I don't think microsoft has a knowledgebase article
>> about that...(I have to see if it was fixed in nt 5)
>
>there was a classic one in just _connecting_ to the NetBIOS session layer
>in SP3 and below.
>
>there are some _really_ nasty DCE/RPC ones.
>
>i invented a new concept recenty that i'd like to share with you.  it's
>called the BSOD.
>
>that's, BSOD - black screen of death.  a problem so serious on windows nt
>that it cannot even report the usual blue screen.

They don't even tell you about that one in MCSE school. But then again,
they do tell you that there are only two reasons for a Blue Screen. As per
usual it's only ever third party software (consult the software vendor) and
hardware (whatever you have that isn't on the NT HCL).

Any idea what causes the Black one?

Matt

P.S. Is this counted as Just another Linux user bagging Microsoft, even
though it's founded?