Printer Problems

Bobby Corpuz Jr. bobby at math01.cs.upd.edu.ph
Mon Jan 10 15:03:02 GMT 2000

My samba setup is not as complicated as yours. I don't have a "printer
driver file" configuration in my smb.conf but I'm very satified with my
samba setup. Here is my setup:

			--------------
		       | Samba Server |
                       |      A       |
		       |______________|

 ------------         ------------           --------------
|  NT        |_______|  NT        |_________|Linux Box B   |
|Workstation |       |Workstation |         |Printer server|
 ------------         ------------           --------------

I setup a linux box as a samba PDC for my NT workstations. A setup another
linux box on a slow machine that acts a my printer server. What I do is
setup my Samba server A to print on my print server B, i.e., set up
B to be a remote printer for A. Now, when I log in as administrator in
each of my NT boxes and do the following:

1. Double click on Network Neighborhood and look for the icon of my Samba
Server.
2. Double click on my Samba Server's icon. NT will the ask for the a
username and password to connect to my Samba Server. I will then type root
in username and type the root password. After that, I will be able to see
root's folder, netlogon, lp, etc.
3. I click on the icon of lp. Notice that the icon is that of a printer.
4. Now, NT will tell me that I cannot print to this device because it
does not have a driver. I click ok. NT will then ask me if I want to
install a driver for this printer. I  click ok.
5. NT will now go into the process of installing a printer driver. It will
ask me for the installation disk of my printer which I have in hand. NT
will  also ask me if I want a test page printed. I say yes.
6. After the installation, NT will ask me if the test page was printed
correctly. I go to my printer and find that it's there, so I say yes.
7. Now I log out as administrator and log in as myself.
8. I open a word document and print it, selecting the printer that I just
installed. I find that the document is printed beautifully.
9. I do the same process to all my other NT boxes.

Of course, I could have attached the printer directly to my Samba server
and set the printer up as a local printer and do the same process as above
for my NT boxes. But I can't do that because my Samba server is in a
different room. Lastly, I have no need of the parameter "printer driver
file". Printer works great for me without this parameter.

Bobby O. Corpus, Jr.
Department of Mathematics
University of the Philippines
-----
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.