Problems joining a domain with a Samba-TNG PDC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 29 23:18:12 GMT 2000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Paul Kennedy wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > paul,
> >
> > the passdb/ code is probably going recursive / infinite loop black hole
> > because of lib/domain_namemap.c
> >
> > check that there are no duplicate names in users and groups that could
> > cause domain_namemap to go recursive.
> >
> > either rename, remove or remap them ("doman group/alias/user/builtin map).
>
> Ok, so I think this was caused by this line in smb.conf
>
> > password server = millstreet

yepp!! that'll do it, that'll make tng a bdc.  not very well, either :)

a) i still need a surs impl.  b) i've not tested that config, all sorts of
horrible things could happen.

the problem with a) is that the tng server as a bdc is neither
authoritative for the unix uid/gid database NOR the sid-rid space, so the
algorithm approach just falls arse-over-tit, so to speak.

never mind, we'll get there.  but not this week, sorry.

> I then ran samedit and recreated the paulpc$ machine account
>
>     samedit -S . -U root
>     createuser paulpc$
>
> This operation caused modification of the paulpc$ entry's lmpassword and
> ntpassword attribute values in LDAP.

that's good!

> After a reboot, I changed the PC name back to paulpc, and made it rejoin the
> domain. I got a "Welcome to domain Airius" dialog. But in log.netlogon,
> (with debug level = 100) I see this, repeated 14 times:
>
> PANIC: internal error

oops, follow the FAQ instructions, do a gdb (recompile first etc) if
there's a coredump.

ppl who've done this b4, pls advise.

thx.