TNG works with Win2k, fails with Win98

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Feb 19 16:35:50 GMT 2000

"Lonnie J. Borntreger" <lonnie at borntreger.com> writes:

> Finally.  I'm no longer the only one talking about this problem.
>
> STATUS: Samba TNG does not support Win9x authentication.  I ONLY
> works for users on NT or 2000.

Yes.  I am not sure everyone believe this, since there are so many
ways you can botch your configuration...  I have already received a
couple of Emails suggesting that this is my problem.

But I have two machines, side-by-side, and the same login which works
on Win2k fails on Win98.  And I have been authenticating Win98
machines against earlier Samba versions (with "encrypt passwords =
yes") for years.  So I am pretty sure this really is a problem with
TNG.

> SOLUTION: Somebody with access to an NT PDC based domain needs to do
> a netmon trace of a successful domain login and a successful GETDC
> request from a Win9x machine and send it to Luke Leighton
> (lkcl at samba.org).  Once he has that, he will fix the implementation.

Why is this necessary?  I can authenticate 98 against Samba 2.0.x just
fine; why is a netmon trace of *that* process not sufficient?  Or, why
can't TNG authenticate 98 machines the same way 2.0.x does?

> CAVEAT: I've asked for someone to do that trace several times in the
> last 4-6 months, and no-one has stepped forward and done it.

Well, I need to get this working by sometime next week.  If that means
setting up a PDC tonight, then that is what I will do.

 - Pat