Samba 2.0.6 and PDC mode

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Fri Feb 11 06:27:10 GMT 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I seem to recall that Microsoft have changed the way that NT SP5 and above
> join a domain to remove that well known password that is used.

no, they haven't.  it's still as insecure as hell, icluding when a backup
domain controller is added to an NT domain.

just as mark russovitch wrote a small utility for NT to fix this by
directly modifying the well-known trust account password on _both_ the
local workstation / server _and_ the SAM database, last night i wrote up
lsa_set_secret_value so that rpcclient can do the same job.

> Is this the case?  This suggests that SP5 cannot be used with Samba 2.0.x
> in PDC mode.

well, you cna't properly use 2.0.x as a pdc _Anyway_, but aside from that,
yes you can use SP5 --- just that if you're paranoid about security, the
solutions are a damn nuisance.

the only client-side fixes have been added to NT5.  you _can't_ join  NT5
to a dmoain without the admin user/pass, now, which is REALLY good.