SYSKEY, TNG freeze, 2.0.x->TNG merge and other thoughts

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Feb 8 20:04:43 GMT 2000

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com> writes:

> Gratuitous advice follows.

Ditto.

>  - SYSKEY
>
>    I'm now for it as Luke's LDAP/NIS/other name services argument is a
>    winning one.

Actually, Jeremy is right: Providing a trusted path to a database is
not Samba's job.  Fix LDAP/NIS/whatever to make them secure (or have
/etc/smbshadow), do not clutter Samba.

>  - TNG code freeze
>
>    Don't do it yet; wait a few more weeks. So much progress is taking
>    place that it seems worthwhile to wait a bit longer.

I disagree.  Official PDC support for Samba has been "coming real
soon" for, what, three years now?  It is long past time to stabilize
this stuff, whatever the feature set, and get it out there.  Release
early, release often.

>  - 2.0.x->TNG merge
>
>    This should be easy, actually: take smbd code from 2.0.x as is,
>    drop all the MSRPC code save for the loopback to MSRPC daemons
>    code.

I hope you are right.  It has been too long since a merge already.
Every experience with branches I have ever had (or heard of) suggests
that if you wait more than a few weeks to do a merge, you *never* do a
merge.

Just another shot from the peanut gallery...

 - Pat