Samba scalability?

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Thu Dec 21 22:10:14 GMT 2000

On 21 Dec 2000, at 13:20, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:

> > > This is a big issue for us too.  Without full ACLs per file, we
> > > simply cannot replace certain NT systems, and I haven't seen much
> > > for Linux ACLs yet.  Of course, this is a Linux shortcoming, not
> > > a Samba issue.
> >
> > ACL support will be in Samba 2.2.  See
> > http://www.samba.org/samba/development.html for a general roadmap of
> > releases.
> >
> 	Note that Samba's is still (more or less necessarily) limited by
> what the underlying OS can do ACL-wise -- there are some NT ACL features
> that no Unix implements.

I understand the OS must support ACLs in order to have any
hope of emulating NT ACLs, so I guess this brings up the next
question: which OSes support ACLs, perferably open source? I
know Solaris does, and it is now free (or is it?), but I'd prefer to
stick with open source if possible.

Shawn Wright
Computer Systems Manager
Shawnigan Lake School