Samba scalability?

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Thu Dec 21 18:20:53 GMT 2000

	Note that Samba's is still (more or less necessarily) limited by
what the underlying OS can do ACL-wise -- there are some NT ACL features
that no Unix implements.

	Depending on what the NT in software question wants to do, that may
or may not be a problem.

	In particular, the ACLs exposed to the client are going to be
interpreted with native semantics, not NT ones -- this may cause
GetEffectiveRightsFromAcl() to yield different results from the actual
access granted (which again, may or may not be a problem, depending on what
you are going to do).  At least with winbindd, I believe the correct SIDs
will be reported now.

	But, as Shawn says, ultimately (given the ACL structure in Samba 2.2
is general enough to do it, in and of itself) this is an OS issue, not a
Samba one.