Repressing Domain Login Dialogue

JBCurry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Thu Dec 21 15:51:35 GMT 2000

Buchan Milne wrote:

> Have a hardware profile with no network enabled ? Unfortunately if you
> are running win9x, it will wait for you to choose a configuration (WinNT
> times out to a default).

I should probably rephrase my question:

Is there a way to check for a PDC on the network prior to the domain login
dialogue, and then bypass the domain login if there is no PDC present?

Likely solutions would be either an alternative to the "Client for Microsoft
Networks", or perhaps a program that could check for a PDC and then modify
the registry to disable domain login prior to Windows getting that far in
the boot process.

I'm trying to prevent unnecessary errors/dialogues from appearing on the
screen when a device is not on the network. Thus, the hardware profile
solution would not be appropriate, as it would add a dialogue or require the
user to make a decision.  I'm trying to accelerate boot times, help to
guarantee an unassisted boot-up when a device is not on the network, and
prevent unnecessary support calls from users that think there's a problem
with the PC.

Not a major need, but it certainly would add some convenience to our
environment.

> Of course, having mobiles on the domain means profiles (local and
> domain) will be out of sync.

I do not use roaming profiles, so this would not be a problem.