W2K joining SMB Server

Hazen Valliant-Saunders hazen at potentia.ca
Mon Dec 18 21:55:47 GMT 2000

Hi again All :)
I'm both very happy and very sick. :()()()()
anywhy i am cracking open a bottile of good gin (glen fiddich) when i get
home today.
Why Because it works.  Got the newest CVS this morning!! compiled installed
and bang it functions (sortof!)
Well i only have a couple of questions now
1. Where do i send the thankyou card for the CVS update!
2. Why does it only accept logon names with lowercase letters ?
3. Howcome i could not migrate my domain properley (Copied smb.conf,
etc/smbpasswd, /etc/passwd , /usr/local/samba/private and
/usr/local/samba/netlogon and /netlogon/scripts) and re-copied after blowing
away the root samba directory (made clean and then blew away!!) and then
compiled from the start and re-copied all the files.

	Now i could logon form all the machines but whenever i encountered an
account with a username that had capitol letters id would give me a (bad
username Password err) now i tried re-adding the users but to no avail.
(Just like the faq and How-to say on how to add users)
so i had to change most of the local profile names and add the "new"
usernames to the smbpasswd file "#adduser -g users -c 'username' -s
/bin/false -n username" followed by "smbpasswd -a username" and blah and
blah.  Well if the username had been added prior, and i tried an
"smbclient -L XPDC -UUsername%password" and got a username passwd error
again only completly new or previous accoutnts with all lowercase letters in
the username work.  Those from the w2k Clients must be all lowere case to
function (won't work in upper i dont know why and smbtcpdump is now makeing
my eyes hurt!!:) So If anyone has any ideas (meglamainiacs welcome!!:) could
they contact me.

Thanks as always
Hazen Valliant-Saunders