NT Domain Aurhentification for routrer control

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Dec 8 10:25:20 GMT 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Sewa Makhinya wrote:

> Hello Simo,
>
> >> Ok, proxy is very good thing. But I'd like complete task without using
> >> any kind of proxy servers.
> >>
> >> Another idea is to write an script that will run every 5 minutes (or
> >> every minute) and determine name of the user on every machine in
> >> domain. It is not very beautiful, but it may works. If only it is
> >> possible - so, how to determine name of the user logged in from
> >> machine with given name (or hostname, or IP)?
> SS> try smbstatus utility!
>
> smbstatus succesfully shows curren connections with my linux box
> running samba, but afaik it cannot tell who is logged in to specific
> machine. Am I wrong?

yes, but resonably a user that is connected to your machine is also logged
on the machine showed in the list.
if you usually do not share any dir from your server you may also try to
map a fake one just for reporting purposes :(

Anyway have you checked the utmp module?
you will need to recompile samba to activate it as it is experimental, but
then you only need to launch a last command to see who logged and (from
which machine also, I think).
Unfortunately, I've never tested it.

bye,
Simo.
 --
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451