win 9x domain logons from non-local subnet

Shaun Lipscombe shaun.lipscombe at gasops.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 10:20:28 GMT 2000

* "Anders" == Anders C Thorsen <anders at aae.wisc.edu> writes:

 >> Thats not true.  I have machines in workgroup b that log in to
 >> workgroup a.  This is because machines in workgoup a AND b both
 >> need to see the file server, *and* have login scripts run.  I made
 >> box b a wins server and it started working but I have done this
 >> before without having to use two wins servers.  Any ideas?  At
 >> least it is working...

 > Are we talking subnets or workgroups here? [a machine in workgroup
 > a can only log in to workgroup a, altough it can map sharings in
 > workgroup b]

As it happens in this scenario both.  I have two subnets seperated by
a router.  Each subnet has been setup as a seperate workgroup instead
of one workgroup spanning the two subnets.  There is a file server in
workgroup b that needs to be able to share to all machines in
workgroup a + b *and* needs to run login scripts to map its shares to
the windows clients in workgroup a + b.  This is working although I
had to set the file server up as a wins (even though the router is a
wins).  I have had this working before without having to use two wins
servers and am just curious as to what the minimal setup is for the
above scenario.  The router is a domain master browser, and the
fileserver is a domain master browser and local master browser (for
different workgroups of course).  I also have browse sync set as well
now and didn't have to do this before.

Has anything changed....?

Shaun

--