win 9x domain logons from non-local subnet

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Dec 8 13:01:39 GMT 2000

At 09:49 AM 12/8/00 +0000, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:
>* "Richard" == Richard Sharpe <sharpe at ns.aus.com> writes:
>
> > Well, yes, they are in different workgroups after all. You can only
> > login to the workgroup you are a member of.
>
>Thats not true.  I have machines in workgroup b that log in to
>workgroup a.  This is because machines in workgoup a AND b both need
>to see the file server, *and* have login scripts run.  I made box b a
>wins server and it started working but I have done this before without
>having to use two wins servers.  Any ideas?  At least it is working...

Ummm, can you run that by me again?

When a client (Win95) looks for a logon server, it does so in a
domain/workgroup.

Do you mean that both workgroups share the one WINS server?

To really see what is going wrong/on we need to see a trace of the activity
when the clients that fail, fail.

You can get one with tcpdump:

   tcpdump -i ethn -s 1500 -w logon.cap

where ethn is the ethernet device that the workgroup for logons is failing
is on.

Then you can uuencode the file and attach it to a mail message to us.

>Shaun
>

>--
>          (o_
>(/)_ (/)_ V_/_   shaun.lipscombe at gasops.co.uk