Group Policies

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Wed Aug 30 23:21:16 GMT 2000

James B Curry wrote:

> Do Group Policies work on a Linux/Samba server?  (Talking about the
> Windows System Policy Editor;  I have a config.pol file sitting out on a
> netlogon share.)  Computer and User policies work great, but I just
> decided to try out Group policies and nothings happening.
> I have a Red Hat Linux 6.0 box running Samba 2.0.6.  The box is the
> Primary Domain Controller and thus serves as our NT domain logon point.
> All of our clients are Win9x.
> If group policies work in this config, where does the group membership
> list come from?  The Linux group file?  Or is there something else...?

Policies, Group or System, are a Windows CLIENT thing. It is irrelevant
what type of server it is. All it is is a file (config.pol or
ntconfig.pol) that is copied from the server's netlogon share to the
workstation. If you can do that, it works. The only thing you need to
beware of is case sensitivity of the filename (read Samba docs for more
info).

If group policies don't work. Try getting the updated (read: working)
grouppol.dll for Windows 9x.

The group list is grabbed from /etc/group.

Hope it helps,
Matt

--

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager

...And by the way, Lars Kneschke's Samba TNG FAQ is at
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/index.php3