NT user has problems connecting to Samba directory

Randal Jew rjew at isi.com
Wed Aug 30 21:57:42 GMT 2000

I had initially setup Samba version 2.07 on a Solaris 2.7 server (cdworld).
It was working fine for about a month.  Now it is broken and I don't
know what changed to break it.  NT users can no longer access one of the shared
Samba drive from the Solaris server.  However, they can access the other
shared directory on the same Samba server. They get the following error trying
to connect:

\\cdworld\twocopies
The network name cannot be found.

However, they can access another shared directory on the same Solaris box:
\\cdworld\data  works fine.  But they can write into it.  The directory
permission is 775 with both user in the same group that owns the directory.

Here is what is set in the /opt/samba/lib/smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CDDOM
        netbios name = CDWORLD
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd
        max log size = 1000
        domain master = Yes
        nis homedir = yes
        homedir map = /etc/auto_home

[data]
        comment = Data Drive
        path = /export/home/samba/data
        valid users = rjew, davidj
        writeable = Yes

[cdwriter]
        comment = Luminexs HotFolder Drive
        path = /opt/hf/cdwriter/archive
        valid users = rjew, davidj
        writeable = Yes

The smbpasswd exist in /etc/opt/samba/private with the two users.
The only other info is that we are using NIS too.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Randal Jew
Wind River