password synchronization - again!

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Aug 30 01:44:29 GMT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Aaron Dewell wrote:

> You have to run a cron script to re-export the passwords to the smbpasswd
> file if you change a UNIX password.  It usually just involves calling the
> smbpasswd program, the only thing is that you don't want to blow away any
> updates that have happened in the meantime from the Samba side..

> I think that doc is backwards, the stable (2.0) samba can be a BDC, but
> not a PDC, the beta versions can do both.

The document is accurate.  Samba 2.0.7 can act as a PDC, but does not have
support for the PDC->BDC SAM replication protocol, which means it doesn't
function as a proper BDC.  This also means that you can't use an NT BDC with
your Samba 2.0.7 PDC, either.

The SAMBA_TNG branch has support for both.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer