samba development

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Aug 18 05:05:22 GMT 2000

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 04:04:12AM +1000, Martin Kuhne wrote:

> Not really - having looked a some of the interop problems between NT and
> third party implementions I am tempted to say "If you have to reverse
> engineer our internal RPC protocols,

Which we do, of course, as Microsoft declines to publish the
information needed to do this without such activity.

I believe the European Union has something to say on
this issue at the moment :-).

> at least do it right". And he was doing
> that.

Oh I agree, Luke has done an amazing job on working out
how this stuff works. It isn't about that though. It's
about "playing well with others".

> I was astonished, though, how serious and businesslike samba development has
> become.

Well that's because there are very large corporations
that depend upon Samba. Such entities tend to be serious
and very business-like. Doesn't mean we can't have fun
whilst we do it though :-).

> Being part of a very serious and businesslike project myself I
> understand Luke's feelings very well.

Yeah, me too. But code development (at least Open Source
development) has to be a *co-operative* effort.

> Note: This is my opinion, not Microsoft's.

Of course, never doubted it - thanks for your unique
insight !

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.