w9x domain logon work

markus stephany merkes at t-online.de
Tue Aug 15 19:14:02 GMT 2000

Hello Elrond,

Tuesday, August 15, 2000, 7:51:44 PM, you wrote:

E> The printing should at some time become like the printing
E> in HEAD... I have to admit, that the docs on that are...
E> well... rare... And since I don't need printing, I can't
E> help out here lots.

this is no problem, i prefer "local port" printers, cause we have
applications that have problems with "lanmanager" printers even on
other _windows_ boxes.

>> 2.07 nmbd and smbd to _nmbd, _smbd, created a virtual ethernet
E> I highly recommend installing them in a different tree, so
E> you don't need to rename the binaries, and you don't risk
E> any conflicts.

they run from different directories.
but the sysv init scripts in suse linux use a tool "startproc" to
start the daemons, and startproc seems to have some problems with daemons
that have the same name, even if they are located in different
directories.

>> - if the logon script works under nt but not under w9x ("file not
>> found"), it may be a file permission issue; finally i got it working
>> when i used the "force user" option in the [netlogon] share, chowned
>> the logon script to that user and set the permissions to 0500.

E> That sounds a little crazy... Hmmm...

yeah, i know, it took me some time to find this strange solution ;-)

i noticed these lines in log.smb when logging on from a w9x box:

dos_mode: ./login.exe
dos_mode returning hsa
[login.exe] attribs didn't match 13

after my changes these lines were:

dos_mode: ./login.exe
dos_mode returning ra

the third line disappeared, and now the script is executed from w9x
too.

E> I recommend, you add a read only = yes to that share, so
E> nobody can overwrite the file.

oops, yes, i should do this...

E> Can you write to Lars and send him the part of your
E> smb.conf for the netlogon-share, so he can include a
E> section about 9x-login scripts and a possible solution?

i will.

thanks for your reply!

--
rgds, markus stephany