w9x domain logon work

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Tue Aug 15 17:51:44 GMT 2000

Thanks for your report.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 03:42:18AM +1000, markus stephany wrote:
[...]
> since i can't get around with the mysterious printing system of tng and

The printing should at some time become like the printing
in HEAD... I have to admit, that the docs on that are...
well... rare... And since I don't need printing, I can't
help out here lots.

> also the character mapping doesn't seem to work correctly, i let tng

Well... I don't know much about that either... Maybe others
can help you out here.

> just do the authentification and a samba 2.07 on the same machine does
> the file and printer serving (except of the netlogon share),i renamed

Yep, the netlogon share has to be on the PDC.

> 2.07 nmbd and smbd to _nmbd, _smbd, created a virtual ethernet

I highly recommend installing them in a different tree, so
you don't need to rename the binaries, and you don't risk
any conflicts.

> interface (eth0:0) with a different ip address and bound the different
> samba's to these two interfaces, and everything works as expected (i
> didn't try to use policies so far).
>
> some hints:
>
> - sharing profiles between win95 and win98 seems not to be a good
> idea, some values in the user's hive seem to have completely different
> meanings under both "os's".
>
> - if the logon script works under nt but not under w9x ("file not
> found"), it may be a file permission issue; finally i got it working
> when i used the "force user" option in the [netlogon] share, chowned
> the logon script to that user and set the permissions to 0500.

That sounds a little crazy... Hmmm...

I recommend, you add a read only = yes to that share, so
nobody can overwrite the file.

Can you write to Lars and send him the part of your
smb.conf for the netlogon-share, so he can include a
section about 9x-login scripts and a possible solution?

    Elrond