question about machine hostid in smbpasswd Samba 2.0.6a

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Mon Aug 7 13:08:55 GMT 2000

    Simo> Paul J Collins wrote:
    >> Me either, but I thought I remembered Luke mentioning some smb.conf
    >> parameter to control this.

    Simo> Ok, I chacked the question (as Elrond) and my findings are that.
    Simo> 1. The client changes the password.
    Simo> 2. Sever require client to change password in a specified time frame
    Simo> (default 1 week) or it will be disabled.
    Simo> 3. Unsure: I think the option in smb.conf is there to make samba change
    Simo> it's password when part of a regular NT domain (or to behave as NT when
    Simo> used as PDC?)

That sounds right.  The server forces the client to change the
password after a week.  Therefore, when Samba is a member of a domain,
it simply has to honour the PDC's request to change its password.

-snip-
    Simo> As machine often crash to death we made a special floppy that restores
    Simo> the image in the hidden partion on the new one without requiring SysAdm
    Simo> intervent.
    Simo> As every machine has it's own image SID, machine account, passwords are
    Simo> no problem anymore.
-snip-

Ah, now I understand.  We've never tried to use Ghost to exactly
reconstruct a machine in situ.  We use it mostly for new machine
installations, of which we are doing a lot lately.

--
Paul Collins <pjdc at eircom.net> - - - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD