question about machine hostid in smbpasswd Samba 2.0.6a

Melissa M. Thrush mmt4q at ee.virginia.edu
Wed Aug 2 12:02:43 GMT 2000

I have Samba 2.0.6a working as a PDC on a Solaris 2.6 box.  It's been
working fine and I have machines added to the smbpasswd by using
the "smbpasswd -a -m" command.  Recently I installed a new "pc image" (OS,
apps, etc.) onto a pc that had been working as a member of the domain.
When the new image was installed however, a user could no longer log into
the domain from this pc.  I had to readd the machine to the smbpasswd file
even though it already was there.

My question, is the encrypted smbpasswd hash comprised somehow of the
machine's hostid (serial number)?  Because when I install a new "pc image"
the new image has a different "serial number/hostid" than the previous
image.

Thanks,

Melissa
--
Melissa Thrush                              Dept. of Electrical Engineering
mthrush at virginia.edu                        University of Virginia