question about machine hostid in smbpasswd Samba 2.0.6a

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Aug 2 13:33:31 GMT 2000

"Melissa M. Thrush" wrote:

> I have Samba 2.0.6a working as a PDC on a Solaris 2.6 box.  It's been
> working fine and I have machines added to the smbpasswd by using
> the "smbpasswd -a -m" command.  Recently I installed a new "pc image" (OS,
> apps, etc.) onto a pc that had been working as a member of the domain.
> When the new image was installed however, a user could no longer log into
> the domain from this pc.  I had to readd the machine to the smbpasswd file
> even though it already was there.
>
> My question, is the encrypted smbpasswd hash comprised somehow of the
> machine's hostid (serial number)?  Because when I install a new "pc image"
> the new image has a different "serial number/hostid" than the previous
> image.

We used the same method there with ghost software principally.
We have to readd machines also to Win Domains because of machine
passwords.
By default machine password are changed every week, so an image older
then a week fails it's autenthication because of wrong password.
Password are changed by the client and I do not know any way to avoid
it.
A way to not have the machine rejoin a sambaPDC server may be to save
the smbpasswd entry when you make the machine image and restore this
entry when you install back that image, this is untested anyway, but.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451