Win2K joining a Samba TNG 2.5 domain

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Apr 27 14:15:40 GMT 2000

At 10:41 AM 4/28/00 +1000, Paul J Collins wrote:

>    Richard> OK, I now have Win2K build 2128 joining a Samba TNG 2.5
>    Richard> domain ...
>
>    Richard> When it does, it comes up with a dialog box prompting for
>    Richard> a username and password on the domain that has privileges
>    Richard> to join the domain or whatever.
>
>Basically, create a user the same way as any other.  The username
>should be the name of the machine with a $ appended.  Samedit will
>create the special initial password (the machine name in lower case
>Unicode), which is changed by the machine as soon as it joins the
>domain.

Well, I did that. I used samedit to create the account win2000$. Then I
went to the machine win2000 and joined the domain, but I still got the
dialog box above, so I entered root and the root password, and eventually
got the Welcome to the domain message.

So, can I get rid of it?

>What may also work is creating the Unix account and entering root and
>root's password in the dialog; I haven't tried this with TNG myself
>yet.
>
>Paul.
>
>--
>Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
> GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD
> PGP: 88BA 2393 8E3C CECF E43A  44B4 0766 DD71 04E5 962C
>"Linux: it's just this operating system, you know?"

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course