how do I get linux client working in an NT 4 served domain?

Robert Tagliarini bobtag at cftnet.com
Mon Apr 17 12:12:25 GMT 2000

I need to be able to print and access file shares on an NT 4 served domain.
The shares I need show up in network neighborhood on my NT workstation on a
host called elutions_fp.  When I try to list these shares with smbclient
smbclient -L elutions_fp -U user%password  -d 20
I get the following
added interface ip=192.168.0.226 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 2.0.6).
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name Elutions_fp<0x20>
getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 127.0.0.1 localhost
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name Elutions_fp<0x20>
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name Elutions_fp<0x20>
resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS server present.
resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name Elutions_fp<0x20>
Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host tmrst
Connection to Elutions_fp failed

I've been looking at mail list archives and various samba web sites but haven't
found anything that tells me how to let my linux box (we're a minority on the
lan right now) have access to the nt domain.

Could/Would someone please help?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Tagliarini
Elutions