TNG "no locking available" error, HP/UX

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sun Apr 2 05:23:12 GMT 2000

[nazard at dragoninc.on.ca]
> But this should be a runtime test.

Have you tried it?  Try it.  It's not just one test.  There are many
locking schemes in use on Unix and the Samba configure tries several.
Some might not even link.  Some might link but not work correctly due
to NFS or whatnot.  Samba tries to find one that will actually work.

This is not easy stuff to do at runtime.

> This isn't going to help joe user who installs an RPM, and points it
> to /nfs_share.

So now you're suggesting not only doing this at runtime, but repeating
it in every directory you access?  Perhaps you want to maintain a cache
of (*lock_file)() pointers, one for each unique mount point?  Once
again.  If you think it's feasible, try it.  *I*'m not writing such a
beast, and I'm guessing neither are any of the Samba maintainers.

> I also seem to remember something about an OS which when doing
> locking of NFS, only locked the file locally. It'll pass the test,
> but fail the run <g>.

Yeah, and in that case there is very little you could do to detect much
less prevent the situation.  Either at compile time or at runtime.  So
you put out a BFW and let the users, who aren't stupid[*], make sure it
doesn't bite them.

[*] Some are.  I know.  I work in a training center.  Possibly most
    users are stupid.  But there's no excuse for stupid administrators.
    Anyone who puts software to important uses deserves anything he
    gets for not reading the release notes.

Peter