Allow Users Only special PCs W9x / NT

Cliff Green green at UMDNJ.EDU
Thu Sep 30 15:46:29 GMT 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, David Bannon enscribed thusly:

> At 06:28 PM 29/09/1999 +1000, Dr. Dieter Becker wrote:
[munch]
> >I want to allow users only special PCs. As example:
> >user x should be allowed to logon at PCs a and b and c
> >but not at the other 50 PCs.
[munch]

> But your real problem will be stopping people from bypassing the logon
> on Win95 machines. 'Out of the box' win95 is not in any way secure,
> anyone can press 'cancel' button. There have been a number of
> suggestions on how to tighten win95 logon security but they all come
> with a price (IMHO) that involves setup difficulties, convience when
> something goes wrong etc.

This thread surfaces every now and then, and several good and worthy
approaches have been aired.  I have a question about another approach:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/9/79.ASP refers to a
hotfix available in msnp32.dll, the network provider dll for Win9x, which
is supposed to address this problem (hit <esc> or enter a bogus domainname
to bypass login security).

My question is:  has anyone gotten and tried this hotfix?  If so, does it
actually deliver?

Cliff Green				green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Service			  UMDNJ