Problems moving PDC from 2.04 to 2.1alpha

Pete Birkinshaw peterb at granada-learning.com
Sat Sep 25 12:37:30 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate the network PDC duties from a file server running
Samba 2.04 to another PC running Samba 2.1 alpha. The original server
will continue to share the netlogon and profile directories.

I moved smbpasswd and SID files from the old server to the new one.

Users can login, and Desktop, Favourites and other  folders in the
profile directory are read OK. However, there are some serious problems:

- All registry type configuration settings are gone. Users desktop
patters, IE & Outlook configs etc seem to have vanished, although all
files including NTUSER.DAT are still present.

- Local group membership no longer works: users that should be local
administrators can't even share folders.

- Group mapping doesn't seem to work. I can see the mapped groups in the
User Manager for Domains, but they are empty.

It /looks/ as if each user has the correct password and name, and so can
log in to the profile, but gets the wrong (different) ID, so NTUSER.DAT
is unuseable.

The new server uses NIS to get user names from the original server. Is
it this, or the way I copied over the smbpasswd and .SID files to the
new server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete Birkinshaw