need help with roaming profiles and password change

Christoph Christ christoph at christ.wol.at
Sat Sep 25 08:14:48 GMT 1999

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Melissa Thrush wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm running Samba 2.0.2 setup as a PDC on a Solaris 2.6 NIS machine.
> I am able to successfully login to the PDC from my WinNTSP3 client.
> First I was assigned the "Default User" profile I had put in the "netlogon"
> share and then it correctly created my user profile in \\N\profiles\U
> However, when I login to the PDC from the same WinNTSP3 client
> as a different new user, I get the first users' profile instead of the
> "Default User" profile.
>
> Any ideas?

Hmmm. Take a look at the machines account and figure out, which profile is
in there. It might be the first users profile. When the logon procedure is
as I think, NT first creates a default config for its machine on
your server and then presents this default to all new users from its own
machine account on your server. Check this out and try to overload the
profile on the machine's account

> ;   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *passw*d*d*on*

Did you check, whether you are using the right passwd chat?
This should be exactly as the in/output of your passwd program - will be
spawned by smbpasswd.

mfg.
  Christoph Christ

Siebensterngasse 1/6, A-1070 Wien
email: christoph at christ.wol.at
Tel Privat: +43-699-1026 8053
Tel Firma: +43-1-74045/4336  Fax: +43-1-74045/68 4336