connecting several sambaserver in different subnets

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Thu Sep 23 19:38:05 GMT 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Jason H. Reeves wrote:

> 	Try setting one of the machines up as a WINS server for the
> domain, and pointing the other machines to it as their WINS server.

OK, let me precise our (Christoph's and mine) problem.

One LAN: 192.168.1.x, WINS server 192.168.1.1, multiple Win- and Linux
clients. WINS server is PDC for "WAECHTRANET" domain, works perfectly.

2nd LAN: 192.168.10.x, WINS server 192.168.10.1, multiple Win- and Linux
clients. WINS server is PDC for "CHRIST" domain, works perfectly.

192.168.1.1 is AKA a (one) official IP address (permanent internet
connection), 192.168.10.1 is AKA a (one) official IP address (permanent
internet connection). Connected via ISDN-speeded cable modems.

Now we set up a VPN (with CIPE), so the two nets can TCP/IP each other.
Wow, works perfectly. DNS is set up to have "waechter.lan" and
"christ.lan", reverse lookup etc. works.

MY question now is: How does one connect these two WINS servers to show
each other's domain for the subnet on the other end? Setting up only ONE
WINS server (on either side for both nets) is not acceptable - too much
internet traffic for local-workgroup operations, and if this one server
fails, noone can browse even his own subnet.

We already tried lmhosts entries (on the WINS servers) for the other
domain, but they seem to have no effect at all... I would have expected
that there is a way to say "192.168.1.1 is Domain Browser for WAECHTRANET,
192.168.10.1 is Domain Browser for CHRIST" on both ends (WINS servers) to
route appropriate requests to the other WINS server.

Thank you,

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Verkauft für 339,88 Dollar!
	- aus: Groundhog Day (Und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier)