NIS maps and logon path.

Jonas Oberg jonas at coyote.org
Wed Sep 22 17:43:42 GMT 1999

hi,

I've been tinkering some with the latest Samba from the CVS archive
and making it run as an NT domain server. I should say that it worked
much better than I had anticipated. That is; until I ran into problems
with the logon path.

What I'd like to do is to have all profiles on the same server as Samba,
but have the Windows NT 4.0 clients mount H: from other machines, let's
call them HSERVER1 and HSERVER2.  In order to do this, I installed
/etc/auto.home with the following contents;

user1	HSERVER1:/foo
user2	HSERVER2:/foo

I exported it with NIS and I can do this, which makes me assume that
all is well;

$ ypcat auto.home
HSERVER1:/foo
HSERVER2:/foo

Then I put this down in smb.conf;

   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
   nis homedir = yes
   homedir map = auto.home
   logon drive = H:
   logon home = \\%N\%U

This, unfortunately, does not work (profiles work just fine, but H:
never gets mounted). The error I've caught in log.client is;

[1999/09/22 18:28:15, 3] smbd/service.c:find_service(108)
  checking for home directory  gave (NULL)

As per other recommendations on this list and others, I've made sure
that my Samba daemons are compiled with libnsl and the options required
(which wasn't autodetected on a Debian unstable system).

Any ideas as to what is wrong with this setup?

Jonas