Strange Roaming profile problem

Norman Weathers norman at lithe.uark.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:43:29 GMT 1999

"Carlos Eduardo P. Guidugli" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a strange problem. I have a pdc running Windows NT 4.0 + SP5 + IE5,
> a fileserver running Debian 2.1 + Samba 2.0.5a and clients running Win
> NT4.0 + SP5 + IE5.
>
> Samba acts like a server into the nt domain (security = domain). I have a
> dir named Profiles with root as owner and users as group and permissions
> 0770

we have a similar problem on our system.  We have a RedHat 6.0 server,
kernel 2.2.10 and samba 2.0.5a.  We have a few NT4.0 SP5 machines with
IE5 laying around.  We had been logging into the profiles directory
in a "not to nice" way (we didn't have the profiles separated out from
the home directory).  We moved the profiles directories to their own
shares, and now all of the sudden, we find out the these updated systems
don't use the roaming profiles correctly.  When I have people at their
"own" system, everything works, but when they move to another system,
nothing gets pulled in right into the new system.  The backgrounds are
all wrong and the links are all bad.  When we checked the profiles
directory, we noticed that they weren't being updated, even though
by watching smbclient, we can see where the user's profile directory
is being attatched.  I am beginning to wonder if there is something
that Microsoft has done to the SP5 release (as usual) or with IE5
even that has caused some problems.  Anyone else tackled something
like this?

Norman Weathers
Technology Coordinator ETS
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

phone: (501) 575-3553 or (501) 575-4344
email: nweathe at comp.uark.edu or norman at lithe.uark.edu

"It's not that I 'prefer' to do this without an NT server.... I
just 'prefer' to do it where it will work..."