MS Exchange

Iain Rae iainr at civ.hw.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 12:49:28 GMT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Paul L. Lussier wrote:

> In a message dated: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:38:26 +0200
> Jan Kratochvil said:
>
> >  I should get it, I haven't yet read any paper-written text on Samba.
>
> John's book was excellent in explaining the brain-dead manner in which MS
> networking works (or rather, doesn't:).  Other than that though, it was much
> more of "man pages with commentary".  If you print out all the Samba man
> pages, then you have the majority of John's book.  Gerry's book was more of a
> "real life practicum in Samba" where he provided different scenarios, idea,
> and implementations as well as HOWTOs, etc.  The 2 books are a very
> complimentary.  I didn't feel that Gerry's book explained the MS networking as
> completely as John's, but it was more up to date and contained more examples.
> So, IMO, you can't go wrong with reading both.

I'd recommend Gerry's book to anyone thinking about using samba, it saved
me a lot of time and effort, I've not got my hands on any of the others
yet.

> >  Tech support would welcome it but people are using the time manager, work
> >lists etc., I'm not forced to use it myself but simply due to all these
> >features the remove of Exchange is unfortunately not a solution now.
>
> I'm in a similar situation where people are using Outlook for time managment.
> Fortunately, though, everyone is using Eurdora or Netscape and POP3 for
> e-mail, or they use native Unix mail :)

Are they actually using the "arrange meetings" part of outlook or just the
PIM/tasklist stuff as I think the netscape calendar has those (not sure
about the licensing though) Outlook seems to becoming the time management
client of choice round here and I' really rather it didn't.

I really wish someone would produce a free (or even reasonably cheap)
calendar server which supported ical.

Sorry this is getting off-topic, I'll shut up :)

| Iain Rae               | Tel: 0131 449 5111 Ext 4406 (Day)(but I'm never in)|
| Computing Officer.     | Any Opinions I am able to form are my own and in no|
| Civil & Offshore Eng.  | way reflect those of my employers.                 |
| Heriot-Watt University.| Well that's my opinion anyway.                     |