Can't access Samba network over ppp dialup

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Wed Sep 1 16:33:44 GMT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:48:32 +1000, hai scritto:

>The problem is that if none of our branch office workers (they use Win95/98)
>can see any of our NT/Samba servers when they dial into the main office LAN.
>They can use the proxy servers and web servers on the main office LAN
>without any problems, so there seems to be no problem with the basic
>connectivity. Please note that unlike the main office LAN, the branch office
>has no domain (it is a peer to peer network) and its workgroup name is
>different from that of the main office. Given this setup, how can my branch
>office users access the main office network samba shares?
If the workgroups are different they will never see the main office pc's
in network neighborhood.
What they can do is to "find computer" and/or see the other pc's going
in network neighborhood/"all the network" (translated form Italian) and
see the other workgroup.
You may need to set up a WINS server which will make a list of the pc's
of the 2 workgroups, or set up an lmhosts file.

>[1999/09/01 13:21:52, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1369)
>  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user xyz in domain
>BRANCH to Domain controller MAIN_PDC. Error was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
>
>I have verified that the user xyz does exist in the domain and I can log in
>by this name.
>All help would be appreciated.
I think that when a user logins is name is in the form
WORKGROUP\USERNAME
so you test with
<1stWORKGROUP>\USERNAME and it's ok, but they login with
<2ndWORKGORUP>\USERNAME and fail.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it