Can't access Samba network over ppp dialup

Khurram Farhan Hassan khassan at aster.com.pk
Wed Sep 1 09:46:13 GMT 1999

Hi,

I have a Samba + NT network (consisting of NT & Linux servers and Win 95/98
clients) running in our main office with an NT PDC (and domain level
security), and it works okay. Now I want to link up our branch office LAN to
our main LAN thru dialup PPP links. The users on the branch office LAN are
authenticated by a radius server (running on one of our Linux servers). This
part is working okay also.

The problem is that if none of our branch office workers (they use Win95/98)
can see any of our NT/Samba servers when they dial into the main office LAN.
They can use the proxy servers and web servers on the main office LAN
without any problems, so there seems to be no problem with the basic
connectivity. Please note that unlike the main office LAN, the branch office
has no domain (it is a peer to peer network) and its workgroup name is
different from that of the main office. Given this setup, how can my branch
office users access the main office network samba shares?

Whenever a user tries to connect to one of the Linux boxes, I get the
following error in log.smb (debug level 2):

[1999/09/01 13:21:52, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1369)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user xyz in domain
BRANCH to Domain controller MAIN_PDC. Error was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

I have verified that the user xyz does exist in the domain and I can log in
by this name.
All help would be appreciated.

Khurram,
khassan at aster.com.pk