Cannot Allocate pty for password change: <username>

Samuel Liddicott sam at campbellsci.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 08:22:11 GMT 1999

PLEASE check this, and send me the code if you have it!!  I need it for
other purposes.

> else you check out an alternative utility to do the
> Password
> changing (again, my memory fails me, but check the archives).

Its chpasswd

You can do:

echo username:password | chpasswd
for plaintext and:

echo username:password | chpasswd -e
if the password is already encrypted.

But you have to be root (as you are for samba).

I need the other code to allow pop3 users without samba access to change
password, so PLEASE, hartog!

Sam