NT Server / Linux

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Sep 1 05:01:48 GMT 1999

At 01:58 PM 01/09/1999 +1000, Andrew Chung wrote:

>Is there any way we can use samba to get linux to verify the password
>from the NT server, ie make our linux server read passwords from
>a PDC

If you make the linux box part of the NT's domain, samba will refer its
passwd queries to the NT. However if you want qpopper to get its passwd
info from the NT its a different thing. But maybe easy !

(I say 'maybe' because it may not suit the rest of your system)

1. Instead of using qpopper run imapd on the linux box. (Thats easy, it
supports pop as well.)
2. Add pam_smb to your linux authentication stack. (thats the touchy bit,
depends on your linux system).
3. Get rid of all the passwds in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow (except maybe
your own !) and allow pam_smb to authenticate the pop users from the NT
PDC. You will still need accounts on the linux box for mail users but all
passwds are on the PDC.

I have a system along those lines here and it works perfectly. Although I
do only have 150 or so users doing it that way.

Ask if you want more details.

David

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au