Adding NT4 to Samba Domain

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Sun Oct 31 22:41:50 GMT 1999

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Greisberger Christophe wrote:

> > May I renew my vote for renaming this parameter's various options to more
> > descriptive ones?
>
> Well, when a newbie sees "security=domain", he don't (well, let's say
> *I* didn't) think further, and concludes it's for domain PDC.
>
> It would perhaps not be necessary to rename the parameter options, but
> the Samba NT domain FAQ should be slightly modified to add a BIG
> warning on "security=domain".

IMO, the parameter "security" should be split from "domain role" or
"domain authentication".

So, one should decide between

security = share    and   security = user

(well, of course, he shouldn't choose "= share" in well configured
environments, but anyway).

with "= user", one can give

domain role = primary controller
domain role = domain member           (former security = domain)
domain role = simple authentication   (former security = server)

SWAT could show this as a select box, so no unnecessary typing. And there
can be abbreviations, too.

Of course, this must be updated to reflect BDC functionality etc.

But I agree that this could be caught for most folks by putting it into
the FAQ. But only for "most" of them. Some will always ask until it is
self explaining.

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
- Wos waas I