SAMBA 2.0 and SP5

Jonas Oberg jonas at coyote.org
Fri Oct 8 17:32:39 GMT 1999

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk writes:

> Users complain of things going astray - very inconsistant.

Could it be that your profiles have simply crashed? I get that
here about once a week when some poor joe comes in and complains
that he can't login to the computer, or that the computer is
behaving very strange. What I do is simply to remove the NTUSER.DAT
and things work again. It affects different people differently;
for some it refuses to grab the profile from the server, for some;
Netscape refuses to run, for some; printers are forgotten about, etc
etc.

I should note that this is on an NT server and not on Samba, but
I suspect that this is a client problem so the behaviour would
be similar. Most of the time you can see this in that NTUSERS.DAT
is exactly 32kbyte large, but sometimes, it can look okay but
still be crashed.

Jonas