Account Attributes

Karl Dane karl at rince.net
Mon Oct 4 17:49:04 GMT 1999

"Mayers, P J" wrote:

> What password backend are you using?
>
> In an LDAP backend you use pwdCanChange and pwdMustChange which are (8
char
> hex strings e.g. 0xFFFFFFFF) which are unix times (32bits, seconds
from
> 1970) that the user can change password (set to FFFFFFFF to disable,
> 00000000 to enable) and must change password (set to 00000000 to force

> changing at next logon, FFFFFFFF to disable forcing)
>
> I don't think the file backend (/etc/smbpasswd) has the capability to
store
> these yet. Try looking in the source code passdb/smbpass*.c files, and
see
> where it fills the relevant fields from.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil

Thanks for your help. We're using smbpasswd as the backend, and I'm not
very
keen on moving the contents of smbpasswd to an LDAP backend, since it
seems
very easy to break NT roaming profiles.

Is there no way of persuading NT4 workstations to force a password
change
using smbpasswd as the backend? I've looked at the /etc/smbpasswd file,
and
there seems to be a section in each line that looks like:

I assume that the 'U' means 'user', since machine accounts have an 'M'
instead. Are there any other useful entries that can be put here?

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

--
Karl Dane
Systems Administrator, Bibliotech

Cynic, n.:
        One who looks through rose-colored glasses with a jaundiced
eye.