Permissions

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Sun Nov 28 08:29:37 GMT 1999

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:43:50 +1100, hai scritto:

>I made a typo, sorry;  I am saying that users cannot erase in a directory
> if it is created. For example, user1 creates a directory with two files in
> it and user2 tries to erase, it is denied. I see that UMASK is set
> to 000 giving everyone permission! What am I doing wrong?
> I can chmod -R g+wrx and things go OK, it is when a user
> copies new files and directories or creates new ones I see the problem.

If the 2 users share the same primary group you just need to use:

[Universe]
comment = Universe
path = /mnt/unv
read only = no
create mode = 0660
directory mode = 0770
force create mode = 0660    (shouldn't be necessary)
force directory mode = 0770 (shouldn't be necessary)

If they share a common group but have different primary groups, you have
2 choices:

1)
[Universe]
comment = Universe
path = /mnt/unv
read only = no
create mode = 0660
directory mode = 0770
force create mode = 0660    (shouldn't be necessary)
force directory mode = 0770  (shouldn't be necessary)
force group = common_group

common_group should be a group in which all people using that share
should be (it doesn't matter whether it's their primary group or not).

2)
chown root.common_group /mnt/unv
chmod 2770 /mnt/unv

if /mnt/unv is a mounted fs maybe you have to check fstab.

[Universe]
comment = Universe
path = /mnt/unv
read only = no
create mode = 0660
directory mode = 2770
force create mode = 0660    (shouldn't be necessary)
force directory mode = 2770 (shouldn't be necessary)

I'd prefer the 2nd, because it works on the unix side too.

giulioo at pobox.com