Profile Sizes

Andy Polyakov appro at fy.chalmers.se
Wed Jun 23 22:40:11 GMT 1999

> > Does anyone have any tips on how to limit profile sizes.  I've had some
> > problems with login times taking a very long time to log in and out.  I've
> > limited all users internet cache size to 2 Mb but I check within the profile
> > share in the temporary internet files and there are still 50 odd megs per
> > user in there.  I delete these files but next time a user logs on these just
> > appear again.  Is this something to do with cached profiles stored on the
> > local hard disk?
>
> Set the Internet cache to the local (c:\) drive in a temp. direcrory. It
> might be a
> security risk, because all users could see other users cache,
Why? If you set appropriately ACL on \TEMP and create personal catalogs,
e.g. \TEMP\%USERNAME%.cache, they won't see a damn thing in each other's
caches.

> One problem I still have/had is that OE stores mail on profiles, which
> is a bad thing ..
OE stores things in whereever AppData points.

Quoting and extending my previous post on the very similar matter
(search http://anu.samba.org/listproc/samba-ntdom/thread.html for
"Turning OFF Netwrork Profiles Safely"):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
"Cache"="%SystemDrive%\TEMP\%USERNAME%.cache"
"Desktop"="%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.nt\Desktop"
"AppData"="%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.nt\Application Data"

Or in Policy Template terms:

CLASS MACHINE
   CATEGORY "Startup"
      KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run"
      POLICY "Disable LOADWC.EXE"
         VALUENAME "BrowserWebCheck"
         VALUEON  DELETE
      END POLICY ; Disable LOADWC.EXE
   END CATEGORY ; Startup
CLASS USER
   CATEGORY "Desktop"
      KEYNAME ""
      POLICY "Desktop Location"
         KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
         PART "Desktop gets *big* enough to become pain to" TEXT
         END PART
         PART "shuffle it around along with user profile..." TEXT
         END PART
         PART "Solution is to keep it elsewhere:" EDITTEXT
            VALUENAME "Desktop"
            DEFAULT "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.nt\Desktop"
            REQUIRED
            #if VERSION >= 2
            EXPANDABLETEXT
            #endif
         END PART
         PART "... as well as Application Data:" EDITTEXT
            VALUENAME "AppData"
            DEFAULT "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.nt\Application Data"
            REQUIRED
            #if VERSION >= 2
            EXPANDABLETEXT
            #endif
         END PART
         PART "... and Personal folder:" EDITTEXT
            VALUENAME "Personal"
            DEFAULT "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.nt\Desktop"
            REQUIRED
            #if VERSION >= 2
            EXPANDABLETEXT
            #endif
         END PART
      END POLICY ; Desktop Location
   CATEGORY "Internet Explorer"
      KEYNAME ""
      POLICY "Cache Location"
         KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
         PART "Just like Desktop, cache doesn't belong in profile..." TEXT
         END PART
         PART "So move it elsewhere:" EDITTEXT
            VALUENAME "Cache"
            DEFAULT "%SystemDrive%\TEMP\%USERNAME%.cache"
            REQUIRED
         END PART
      END POLICY ; Cache Location
      POLICY "Cache Size Limit"
         KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content"
         PART "Microsoft used to set this in % of hardisk size..." TEXT
         END PART
         PART "You can set it in KB right here:" NUMERIC
            VALUENAME "CacheLimit"
            REQUIRED
            DEFAULT "5120"
            MAX 1048576