Limit on length of share name?

John H. Blake jblake at rose.hp.com
Tue Jun 22 20:23:14 GMT 1999

I apologize if this is a FAQ.  I've searched the documentation but
haven't found the answer.

Is there a hard-coded limit on the number of characters in a share
name?  I have a user who wants a share called "RDProjectTracking".
However, I can only get it to work if I truncate the name to twelve (12)
characters (or fewer).  Interestingly, the longer name shows up in
browsing, but I get a "The network name cannot be found" message when I
try to browse (or connect to) the share.

Regards,

John