Limit on length of share name?

Daryl Williams daryl.williams at sharewave.com
Tue Jun 22 20:32:46 GMT 1999

hi john,

i have run in to this limitation as wel, although i had
thought it was 13 characters not 12. it only affects
top level share names, anything below that can
be longer.

//daryl

"John H. Blake" wrote:

> I apologize if this is a FAQ.  I've searched the documentation but
> haven't found the answer.
>
> Is there a hard-coded limit on the number of characters in a share
> name?  I have a user who wants a share called "RDProjectTracking".
> However, I can only get it to work if I truncate the name to twelve (12)
> characters (or fewer).  Interestingly, the longer name shows up in
> browsing, but I get a "The network name cannot be found" message when I
> try to browse (or connect to) the share.
>
> Regards,
>
> John
>
> --
> *  John Blake                     Email:  jblake at rose.hp.com  *
> *  Hewlett Packard Co., M/S 5571                              *
> *  8000 Foothills Blvd.           Phone:  (916) 748-7388      *
> *  Roseville, CA  95747-5571                                  *

 Daryl Williams
 Network Administrator     mailto:daryl at sharewave.com
 ShareWave, Inc.           Phone: 916-939-9400 x3212
 5175 Hillsdale Circle     Fax: 916-939-9434
 El Dorado Hills, CA. 95762Web: http://www.sharewave.com