Netlogon troubleshooting with 2 Samba servers

MANEL Rodero (LCFIB Systems Programmer) manel at fib.upc.es
Fri Jul 23 18:29:05 GMT 1999

Hello,

	we have some problems with our configuration for 2 Samba Servers
(one of them is a PDC and the other is a domain member).

	The configuration is like this:

** SERVER1 (PDC) **

  workgroup             = MYDOMAIN
  netbios name          = SERVER1
  security              = DOMAIN
  encrypt passwords     = Yes
  domain logons         = Yes
  wins support          = Yes

** SERVER 2 (domain member) **

  workgroup             = MYDOMAIN
  netbios name          = SERVER2
  security              = DOMAIN
  encrypt passwords     = Yes
  domain logons         = Yes
  password server       = SERVER1

Then, If we try to login in MYDOMAIN from a Windows 95/98 workstation,
the logon process start.

	Our LOGON.BAT (in SERVER2) have the following:

		NET USE G: \\SERVER2\A
        NET USE H: \\SERVER2\B

Note: with MSNET32.DLL we have forced the logon server to SERVER2 for
domain MYDOMAIN using this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Preferred
Server\MYDOMAIN]
"LogonServer"="SERVER2"

The logon is ok, the user has mapped the drives G: and H: to the right
\\SERVER2 BUT THE PROBLEM is that we have a connection to
"\\SERVER1\NETLOGON" !!!

What's happened? Why this connection is made? Why the connection isn't
for \\SERVER2\NETLOGON?

Any idea?

PS: Any of you know what's the process for a Windows logon? i.e. from
where the "logon.bat" is loaded?

Many thanks!

  o o o   MANEL Rodero Blanquez          | Laboratori de Calcul FIB
  o o o   System Manager                 | Campus Nord - Modul B6
  o o o   Laboratori de Calcul FIB       | Jordi Girona, 1-3
  U P C   FIB - UPC                      | 08034 Barcelona (Spain)

  Email : manel at fib.upc.es               | Tel : +34 93 401 6943
  WWW   : http://alabi.fib.upc.es/~manel | Fax : +34 93 401 7040